วันอังคารที่ 29 กันยายน พ.ศ. 2552

Kindle DX’s Ability to Display Complex Structures

Kindle DX’s Ability to Display Complex Structures
and Form Function of a Bigger Unit

Our Family owns 3 Kindles: K1, K2 and we now own Kindle DX.
We rated K1 and K2, 5 stars. K1 got its grade for the seamless Amazon’s wireless offering and the superior reading experience. K2 improved form function, introduced Text to Speech functionality and expanded embedded K1’s memory.
Why did I order a Kindle DX? I bought a DX for its ability to handle complex written structures. I read financial reports voraciously. Since I can’t read these reports on my PC screen or on K2 (text yes, financial statements no), I print out fat financials reports on a daily basis. As soon as I ordered Kindle DX, I sent .pdf files with tables, files and pictures to my DX email address. Does DX end the tyranny of lugging around piles of work material? Let’s find out.
Text: I almost had a heart attack. I downloaded a PDF from Edgar Online. Their standard font is just too small for DX. On the second attempt, I used a bigger bold font and it worked perfectly. I now have my Kindle DX magical font. Then I tested the Auto-Rotation feature. That is the DX golden nugget. It works brilliantly! Within a PDF document, auto-rotate to landscape will render the appropriate text size. I tested this feature on the original Edgar Document et voila! I prefer the next page and prev page buttons located at the bottom of the unit in landscape mode. You can’t annotate or Highlight in a PDF file. I trust Amazon.Com to deliver this feature in the not too distant future. If not, there goes one star.
Graphs and Tables: I got the Daily livestock Report from the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. The document has text, boxes, graphs and tables on one page. I auto rotated this newsletter to landscape mode and the rendering reaches perfection.
Pictures: Work of Art! I love the black and white pictures with lots of texture.
Browser: Speed has not increased but the ability to extract Wikipedia material for me is priceless. The size of the screen facilitates reading in the browser.
Form Function: The ability to handle complex structures comes at a cost. The cost is basically the super sizing of the unit. I find the unit to be much easier to hold in the landscape mode. My wife and I will continue to use our K1 and K2 for reading ebooks. I will be using Kindle DX for more complex material.
Text to Speech (TTS): I find myself using TTS more and more. Unfortunately on DX, TTS does not work within PDF files. It does on K2. This is a minor issue since I use TTS for ebooks.
Memory: 3,500 books on the Kindle DX and an unlimited number of your books saved within the Amazon.com’s cloud which can be downloaded at will for free. Some say it is not enough; I say bring a Cray computer on your next vacation.
Don’t want: I don’t want a backlight on my kindle or touch screen on the reading space.
Wishes: Global wireless access to Kindle DX Store. Bezos’ vision of all books ever written available on Kindle (let’s speed this up, please). Sudoku. Add a print to file feature in the browser so that I can clip Wikipedia or other web material to be retrieved within the main menu. Ability to access the documents I have archived on Pixily.
By Michael Bigger

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น